Commercial Combined for Business

The name Commercial Combined for Business describes what this product provides. Instead of having separate policies for lots of different covers, this policy pulls them all together and is a much more cost effective way of providing the protection a business requires.

It is typically purchased by manufacturing and distribution companies, although many more businesses in addition to these often purchase a commercial combined product. Essentially it is policy for commercial businesses and it provides a combination of covers – some of which you will need, others you may not.

What can a Commercial Combined policy cover me for?

Why do you need this insurance?

Can you answer yes to any of these statements?

  • You have valuable assets that need protection both back at base and in transit to customers
  • You need to cover your legal liabilities and have a support team to defend you in any court action
  • You need to protect your income if you are not able to trade as a consequence of a loss, or at least cover the cost of temporarily moving elsewhere

Glentworth has been my broker at a large chilled distribution business and later at a waste management business and in both cases, helped me manage claims down substantially resulting in significant savings in premiums over the years. Further, you have now brought our costs down immediately by 30% at Ben's Farm Shop Ltd. What I really appreciate is having a professional team who we know personally, who understand our business insurance needs and who act in our interest and on our behalf.

Greg Morgan, Financial Controller of Ben's Farm Shop Ltd

Why use Glentworth for Commercial Combined for Business?

Glentworth has access to all major UK insurers providing commercial combined insurance. We also have a vast amount of experience in assessing the risks of businesses and can guide you through what cover you need and what you don’t.

We are very happy to visit you at your premises in order to identify the appropriate covers to meet your insurance requirements.

Glentworth will take time to explain clearly the benefits of your policy and any conditions or restrictions that may apply.

If our clients need to make a claim, a familiar face from Glentworth will always be there to help.


Do I need Employers Liability Insurance?

It’s not just about PAYE employees

If you have PAYE employees then it is highly likely that you will need Employers Liability cover. However, that is not the end of the story and there are other instances when you will need it – even for volunteers! Read on.

If you employ subcontractors, or workers on a casual basis you could need Employers Liability cover. The main exception is if you engage Bona Fide Subcontractors (BFSC). It is important for our clients to be able to distinguish for insurance purposes, between a labour only sub-contractor and a bona fide sub-contractor. Understanding the fundamental differences is important to ensure that correct cover and pricing is applied to your insurance policy.

Labour only Subcontractors.

A contractor employs a sub-contractor for their labour only. The labour only sub-contractor (LOSC) does not supply any materials, the LOSC is being supervised by the Contractor.

In this context there is a master and servant relationship. The contractor’s liability towards the LOSC, and arising out of the LOSC’s activity when working for them, is considered the same as if the LOSC was a direct employee.

Since this is regarded as a master and servant relationship an Employers Liability and Public Liability exposure exists. Even if the LOSC has their own insurance i.e. Public Liability. The contractor would not be able to subrogate against it. There is case law setting precedents to support this.

Bona Fide Subcontractor (BFSC).

A master and servant relationship would not be considered to be in existence.

The BFSC would be providing materials, labour and supervising their own work and invoicing accordingly. There is no Employers Liability risk but contingent Public Liability cover is required. It is likely that it will be warranted under your own insurance that you check that each BFSC holds adequate Public Liability insurance.

We have three local offices